Sunday, August 3, 2008

Countdown

It's amazing that I only have twenty-one more days until I leave for China. I still haven't wrapped my mind about it, even though I've been going through the actions that makes it obvious I'll be leaving soon. For instance, I was watching the Travel Channel's China Week (even though a good part of it was reruns) and I have my packing list so I know if I need anything. I'm a normally pretty simple girl, not materialistic at all. I mean, the only reason why I have an iTouch is because my boyfriend won it and since he knows how long the flight is there, he's letting me borrow it (but not before he made sure I knew not to lose it or harm it in any way, shape or form, of course). Other than that, that only high-tech thing I own (and cannot live without, literally), would be my laptop, Xavier.

That would make sense, then, that among the top of my list, I needed to get an outlet converter - or whatever those things are called. I don't know how it works as I can't really try it out here, but it seems to be pretty straight-forward. As you can tell by the tense of my statement, I already bought it. I also bought an XD Card Reader/Writer so I can upload pictures from my digital camera (I had lost the original USB cord about a year or so earlier). With the two main things to buy, it turns out that my current cell phone, a Nokia, is unable to be used internationally - so I have to use my sister's Razr. It normally wouldn't be a problem, but hers is PINK. Saying that I dislike that color is an understatement. My Razr is SILVER - a much better color. Unfortunately, it was faulty when I last used it, which was why I was incredibly happy when I got a new one. No offense to the old one, but I needed a working cell phone. I actually like my Nokia - a lot - because it doubles as an iPod/mp3, but much cheaper AND it's a classic black and white. -_- Bummer.

I suppose when you want to do something really bad, there are certain sacrifices one has to make. One such as abandoning my "manliness" in place of my sister's horrifyingly pink cell phone - but at least it works, right? I usually don't care about many things, but I do have standards, you know.

Another big thing that pounded the fact that I'll be leaving soon is that my passport - Chinese Visa and all - had come via Fedex. :) It's amazing I paid that much and waited that long for that little booklet with a sticker in there, but that's foreign relations for you. Also since China's reportedly having stricter security with the Summer 2008 Olympics being in Beijing and all. Not like it matters much to me since I'll be missing it anyway.

Oh gosh! This is exciting! I know it is! I just don't feel the intense giddiness quite yet. I mean, I honestly knew there was a world outside of Texas - I was born in California, after all, AND the two states are completely different. But sometimes I wonder if there are really other countries out there. It's nice that there are documentaries and such and the Travel Channel is the best, but even though common sense is screaming at me, a part of me still has the mentality that if I don't see it and if it doesn't happen to me, then there's still a chance that it doesn't exist. O_o I know, right? Nuts. Either way, that's who I am; even though I know something, I don't really know it. The possibilities are endless and the impossible may become possible in the blink of an eye.

I mean, once upon a time, people actually thought the universe revolved around Earth. haha...

No comments: