Friday, August 22, 2008

Last-Minute Packing

I am not one bit surprised to see how my departure date has sneaked up on me and I still haven't packed yet. Last I checked, I was still two weeks away from leaving, but now, I find out it's the Friday before I'm leaving - leaves me with barely two days of packing, since my flight leaves at 6:30 AM on Sunday morning. (Who in the world decided this, anyway??)

Well, so far, I bought a new (and more sturdy backpack) which is also waterproof. And thanks to one of my friends, I have a new set of pajamas suitable for the more colder climates that she gave me as a going-away gift. I find it funny that we're only to pack a little as we're expected to buy the other half when we get there, but it's going to be hard. Also, since I dislike shopping so much. :) Either way, I may have a limited amount of clothes that I enjoy wearing, but it will still be difficult to pick and choose which ones to bring with me. I already made a basic packing list with the rough number of each item I plan to take, but I have long ago realised that I pretty much never go with things that are planned. I do better when I go with the flow.

It will be interesting though. I never enjoyed packing (I guess it's how you have to stuff a good amount of stuff into a tiny space) and now I have to pack for four months on the other side of the world in such a limited amount of time. Even so, I don't find myself regretful of my consistent procrastination. After all, it works for me. When I do things ahead, I end up having to do it over again because I end up forgetting anyway. I guess the beginnings of pre-departure jitters is started to appear as well.

Honestly, my mind is the only part of me that's aware that I'm supposed to be leaving soon. The other part of me is still telling me how I still have time to prepare. haha... last night, I found myself listening to both of my parents telling me random pieces of advice and asking me if I needed this or that. A good part of me was puzzled because, after all, I still had time. -roll eyes-

I suppose there is one thing I'm nervous about. The airport. I've never traveled alone, though I'm very excited to. The thing is that I don't know where to go, what to do. Whenever I went to the airport before, we were also in somewhat of a hurry and the goal was to follow my parents - not to mention there were checkpoints that you can't pass unless you had a ticket or something. Therefore, I never had the opportunity to properly explore the facility (I tried). I always thought it was neat though. The fact that if it was a large airport, you could hear snippets of various languages and I always loved guessing what was being said and what the language was. If I knew it - all the better! Now... I'll be going to a country where the main official language isn't English - it's something quite different.

Yes, I do understand a good amount of it, but I myself am not quite that fluent. Also since I'm a very introverted individual. I suppose with the four months that I'll be there, I should get used to it soon enough. :) I was always a flexible person and I like changes. This will certainly be a trip to remember, I think. Hopefully, it'll be one of the more interesting ones, instead of another college experience - just in another country.

Even if everything seems to be normal and routine-like, I will make this a trip to remember. After all, I didn't pay all that money just to study.

No comments: